Thursday, April 23, 2015

Where Do We Get Our Poetry From

The biggest question I've been asked throughout this unit is how to I come up with a topic to write about? How do I get my ideas?  I've told them to observe the world around them.  Look at what is happening in their lives.  If they had an argument that morning, was it something they could write about?
Well the poem below came from my heart as I read the post of a former student and friend who lost her three year old child at the beginning of April.  She is trying to go on with life yet the pain and ache is so terrible.  As I sat to write a poem that morning for the class this is what came out of me.

As You Like Still Upon My Chest by Sandra Stiles
As you lie still upon my chest
Your face framed all in curls
A simple gown in which you’re dressed
My sweet little baby girl
Your face framed all in curls
Your skin as white as the snow
My sweet little baby girl
I did not want to let you go
Your skin as white as the snow
A simple gown in which you’re dressed
I did not want to let you go
As you lie still upon my chest

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .