Thursday, March 22, 2018

#DWHabit: Word of the Day: Sun


Several years ago I had some major eye problems.  I was losing my vision. I had a total of five eye surgeries.  The first one was the most crucial. I was told there was a 50% chance I would lose my vision. My husband asked if there was anything I wanted to do. I told him there were several things I wanted to do just in case. My school made sure I went on the class field trip to the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, FL.  It is one of my favorite places. The John and Mabel Ringling Mansion sits on the bay.  We lived just a couple of blocks away from it so we spent a lot of time there. The only other things I wanted to do was to visit some of my favorite nature parks and watch as many sunrises and sunsets as I could.  Florida has some of the best of both.  Last year I was awarded three weeks at the Hermitage Artist Retreat to write.  I had the gulf on one side and the bay across the road.  I woke to the sun shining in my window. Every evening I had a front row seat to some of the most spectacular sunsets ever. The picture above was taken from the beach outside my cottage. If you didn't know better you might think this was a lake with a mountain in the background. Those are nothing more than clouds.  For me the sun not only warms my face and body but also warms my heart and soul. It doesn't matter if it is the sunrise or the sunset. I leave for work every morning before the sun rises. I walk into my room just as the sun begins to rise. My classroom windows face the east.  I get to see some of the most spectacular sunrises every morning. The trees look black against the sunrise. Then the sun creeps higher and light spills over the land showing the world in which I work in all of its glory.  This is usually followed by birds who fly to the palm trees around the property, or the water birds who wade in the ponds around the school. The sun is so much to me. It is a fresh beginning each day and each evening it is a kiss goodnight. I always have and always will love the sun's rise and setting each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .