Monday, January 22, 2018

#DWHabit - Word of the Day - Bright



There are many definitions for the word "Bright". Some of them are: giving out a lot of light, shinning, being very smart.  My favorite way to use the word bright is when we are talking about colors. Last summer one of the artists I spent three weeks with told me that she was in trouble a lot when she was in elementary school.  The reason was she "didn't color in the lines".  I don't mean that literally. She would be told what color to color something and if the color seemed too pastel or dull she opted for brighter colors. I can think of two instances where something like this happened to me. In fifth grade we had a safety poster contest. I colored my bike red because I wanted it to be bright enough for people to see. The teacher told me she could not enter it because I had colored the bike red.  It was too bright and gave a feeling of panic. I should have colored it light pink or blue.  As an adult my kindergartners were coloring pics of baby chicks. I literally was called into the office and talked to about my student's "rainbow" chicks. I was told they should have all be light yellow.  I looked at my principal and asked him if he'd seen all the chicks that God had made. When he replied no he had not, my reply back was, "How do you know he didn't make bright rainbow colored chicks. I stood up and walked out.  My children never received pastel colored blankets or clothing. If it was not bright they didn't wear it.

My students tease me because any time I have anything decorated in my room it is bright. The closest I have come was my book cover. It is pinks, lavenders and blues.  The background needed to be lighter so the other pics stood out. That I get. In life I believe we need to brighten up our little corner of the world. We need to add more color to it.  What will you do today to brighten up the world?  Think I'll do some drawing and coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .