Wednesday, January 17, 2018

#DWHabit - Word of the Day - Laugh



This word really fit today.  My 8th graders have been reading Romeo and Juliet. I laugh my head off watching their expressions. They are eighth graders taking a high school credit class.  Today they read about Juliet's nurse talking about nursing Juliet and how she weaned her. They read along and get to the word teat and whisper it while turning twenty shades of red.  They have a hard time discussing girls marrying and having kids by the age of 14. When you explain why and how it differs from today and dating, they blush, duck their head and giggle. We finish Act 1 tomorrow. We have four more Acts before the story is over.  I live for going in each day just to see their reaction.  The one person I figured would have a problem with  the story has none. They are on the autism spectrum and they handled it very clinically. Every now and then I watch the corner of their mouth lift in a small smile. That is usually when he realizes how embarrassed the other classmate are.  I laugh at myself because this is the first high school class I have taught in 24 years. I was concerned about this particular unit.  I didn't feel confident. It has been my most favorite unit to date. 

I have to say we all need to find something to laugh at every day because there is so much negativity in the world. For me my students make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .