Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Baby It's Cold Outside



You who live up north may laugh at this. However, there are many things you don't understand. My family moved to Florida in 1973.  I am no longer acclimated to the icy cold conditions I left in Indiana .I have grown accustomed to cold weather when we occasionally have it down here. I even look forward to the occasional sweater weather.  This year at school has been different. We have been under construction all school year. My room temp varies between 90 for a high and the low 60s. I actually purchased a thermometer for my classroom. The temp inside my classroom has been about 15 degrees colder than it is outside. So imagine if we have a high of 55 on Thursday I can figure my room is going to be about that or colder inside, especially with no students. Since it is a day for grades and mine are done as are my unit and weekly lesson plans, I plan on spending the day writing. I am going to work on my Berlin Wall story, "Leaving Behind our Walls".  I managed to get the first five chapters written this summer.  I also wrote a poem that I shared while I was at my writing retreat. I am posting it here for you.

Brick by Brick

We built these walls brick by brick
We made them with our own two hands
They once were thin, but now they’re thick
And now between us, they do stand.

Just like the wall the soldiers made
Walls of hatred, fear, distrust
Walls exact a price that must be paid
They  turn our lives to grains of dust.

They  tear away our very souls
To mold and shape and try to tame
To dominate us are their goals
We only have ourselves to blame.

So tear these wretched walls away
Eliminate the guilt
Remember the lies along the way
Is how these walls were built.


Sandra Stiles 7/17/17

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .