Monday, January 15, 2018

#DWHabit - Word of the Day - Reason



There is a reason we moved to Florida when I was in high school. My father had a titanium plate in his head from an accident when he was four.  In rainy weather or cold weather he would get these massive migraines. They would incapacitate him.  For me there are multiple reasons I stay in Florida.

I love the warm temperatures. Our winters are milder. Yes we do have to deal with things like hurricanes and the occasional loss of power in ninety degree weather because of them.  But, I don't have to deal with snow.  So, since we've been having these cold snaps down here I have loved that I get to wear sweaters for a short amount of time and that I know I won't have to drive through ice and snow. 
However, this morning it was a little more difficult to get out of bed. It is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I am out of school so  that would be a reason to smile.  But, three days ago our AC/Furnace started vibrating terribly.  They came out and looked at it on Saturday because we knew we had a cold snap coming through. They must order the part for the machine. The fly wheel is going.  We have used it as little as possible.  This morning when I got up it was 54 degrees in the house.  I remember waking up in the mornings up north and running down the stairs and laying our clothes 
over the stove to get them warm. I learned to get out of my flannel PJs and into my school outfit in under 30 seconds, because that was about how long you had before your clothes were cold again. 
Anyway, I got up and turned the heat on, praying the fly wheel would hang in there long enough for the house to warm up.  Now, it isn't producing much heat. So I started to complain as I sat under a blanket with my sweater on. Then I looked across through my kitchen window. A fairly strong breeze is blowing. The palm fronds and Spanish moss is gently moving. Then I watched three squirrels play tag around and through the branches.  An osprey out looking for a meal flew past.   I realized that if I lived up north unless I sat out in the cold somewhere in the woods I probably would not see as much wildlife as I can just sitting in my house.
That made me think about how selfish my thinking was this morning.  I have no real reason to complain. There are those who have no house or sweater to keep them warm. I have both. The thought that God has taken care of me made me smile.

So my wish for you today is that you look around you, no matter what your situation is and find the beauty in the world. Search out a REASON to smile today, because smiling is so much better than frowning and complaining.

Really looking at the world
Expecting something great no matter what
Always looking for the best in any
Situation that is thrown
Our way can bring us much

Needed happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .