Friday, January 26, 2018

#DWHabit - Second Chances


I wrote a book review yesterday so I didn't post here. However, every time I turned around today I heard someone use the phrase "Second Chances".  I had a student with an attitude issue today. I talked with one of my co-workers this student was upset with. He explained the reason for the kid's attitude.  Then he said that the kid was good at sports. He was trying to use that as leverage to help the kid make better choices. His reasoning?  He believes in giving second chances.  He also told me that he is the product of a second chance.  I wonder how many adults give kids a second chance?  Sometimes that is all that it takes to change a life. 

I have a student this year that has a record, according to several teachers, as being horrible. In my 25 years of teaching, I have never ever read a student's file or talked to their previous teacher(s) before I met them. I have always wanted to meet the students where they are. In all of my years of teaching I have only met one student that I don't think will make it no matter how many chances we give him. I don't say that lightly. I want all of my students to succeed in whatever they choose to do. I have students who have such horrible home lives and yet they find an adult to mentor them so that they have a second chance.

It made me think about how often I give students a second chance without telling them I am giving it to them.  Sometimes I don't know what impact I have on their lives. Sometimes I receive a letter or a visit. When I retire I will spend days looking at those success stories.

I had a kid a couple of years ago tell me he was a mess at our school and that I told him daily that I believed in him. He said I was the only one who ever told him that. His on family constantly put him down and told him what a loser he was like his ___(parent).  They played this mind game with him using him as a pawn in their feud.  He is a grown man in the military now.  I want to be an inspiration to my students. But most importantly I want them to know that I believe in them. Sometimes I have to tell them that every day until I see a change and I begin to believe it myself. I don't believe in telling students they are a failure. We all need second chances in our lives.  Who will you give a second chance to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .