Saturday, January 20, 2018

#DWHabit - Word of the Day - Inspire



I chose a word different than the one put out by Jennifer Laflin.  Today I chose the word inspire.
Let me back you up to the beginning of 2016 so that you understand why I chose this word. In May of 2016, three weeks before the end of school I had both knees replaced. I had lived with bone on bone with bone spurs between for several years. I was at a point where I was using a cane on my good days and a walker on my worst. I was inspired by a student I acquired half way through the year. He'd been in a terrible accident. He had to learn to walk and talk all over again. He was a gifted student who lost all of that. Yet my last day he said to me, "Just do everything they tell you to do no matter how much you don't want, or how much it hurts and you will be walking again in no time." I let him know at the beginning of the next school year what an inspiration he had been to me. Every day in the rehab facility when I thought I couldn't do what they asked I pictured him.

That summer I saw a teacher friend of mine at a writing retreat and thought how wonderful it would be to do something like that. She sent me the information and I applied.  The Hermitage Artist Retreat in Manasota, FL chooses five teachers in the state of Florida to spend three weeks working on our art.  I had to send in samples of my writing and letters of recommendation. Imagine mine and my student's surprise when I opened my school email and learned I had been selected as one of the five. That was inspirational.  However, the most inspiring part came from meeting the other four artists. There were three visual artist, and another writer.  They inspired me to step out of my comfort zone.  Katie worked a lot with textiles.  As a quilter, embroiderer, etc. I just considered it a craft for me. She taught me that it was also an art. I have always, up until three years ago included sewing in some form in my classes.  Because of her I've started looking at ways to bring it into my lessons next year. Jennifer was so bubbly. She does a lot of drawing, cutwork art and a lot of upcycling.  Between her and Holly Pisaturo who works at the Hermitage and creates jewelry I started creating jewelry for myself. I have a collection of jewelry that is broken etc. that was given to me for that purpose.  Following Jenny's site has shown me how to look at pieces that others consider old and used to create something new.  Gerald was a painter. He inspired me to continue painting. In my house are the two paintings I have done.  I love painting with acrylics. At one point my husband and I owned a ceramic shop.  I am looking forward to painting some of the pictures I took while at the hermitage.  Bryan was the other author with us. He read and critiqued my work. He made me feel like I was one of the best.  For some  writing is so easy and natural. For others we have to work really hard.

I have been inspired over the last few years by some of the best around.  I work hard every day to inspire my students.  I have one who has a God given talent for writing. She wrote the following poem I had posted on my other site.  She informed me that she is writing a novel. I've been reading it and it is great. Now she is writing a companion book of poetry to go along with the novel. I am sharing the poem she wrote for me. She has inspired me to continue to write daily.  What will you do to inspire others?

A Poem for Mrs Stiles
One day I walked
into a room
labeled Language Arts
where I could learn 
how to put pencil to paper
and unleash the magic.
The magic that waits
beneath the white,
so my messy scrawl
could burn through
the snow-colored shield.
The little candle 
in my pencil
could melt through the paper.
And the worlds I've gone to
through think black crevices
in the pages of books
are extraordinary.
An I loved Language Arts
through the first school.
Elementary school,
And it was almost as great
as the library
where I could travel through
little black lines
in otherwise blank walls,
into worlds of magic.
For those years 
my candle burned 
in the same little room
in the same little school.

Then,
A new, bigger school
where I could see the sky
through patches of blue
in the hallway.
In middle school
where I headed to 
Language Arts
my heart in my throat
because my teacher would be
an author,
who had wildfires in her pencil,
and knew how to 
burn through the paper
and create portals
to other worlds,
where anything was possible.
And I only had my candle
She welcomed us
I liked her 
in moments.
I was glad
she was the one chosen
to show us how to burn 
through paper 
with flaming pencils.
Mrs. Stiles
I look forward all day
to Language Arts
where anything 
is possible.
And we can write
About spinning torrents of wind
and flames unquenchable.
Neat, orderly writing
Or wild, imagined tall tales.
Poetry
with rhyming sequences
and corresponding syllables.
Or free
like an eagle
flying into the flaming sunset.
You helped my candle
grow into a flame
dancing on a torch.
You've been a great teacher, 
Thank you for showing me
how to put pencil to paper
and unleash the magic.
The magic that waits
beneath the white.
Now my messy scrawl
can burn through
the snow-colored shield.
Thank you.
I'll see you next year
Good-bye,
and good luck.

Madison B.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright Sandra's Writing Quest 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .